PMS stands for Provincial Management Service. This is considered the most prestigious provincial service. Through this exam, the most knowledgeable, proficient, and disciplined candidates are selected for provincial civil bureaucracy.
It is a competitive examination conducted by the provincial governments of Pakistan through its four provincial commissions such as;
- Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC)
- Sindh Public Service Commission (SPSC)
- Baluchistan Public Service Commission (BPSC)
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Public Service Commission (KPSC)
Parts of the PMS Exam:
- Written Examination
- Psychological test
Candidates who pass these PMS tests are offered government jobs as Grade 17 officers. An officer passing this exam is called a PMS Officer.
The PMS came into existence on January 17, 2014, in the province of Punjab upon notification by the S&GAD, Government of Punjab – Pakistan. In Pakistan, it was established by the provincial governments in a bid to improve the service structure of bureaucracy in the provinces. PMS Officers are appointed and promoted as per notified Service Rules- PMS Rules, 2004. Commonly, PMS Officers are posted as Section Officers, Assistant Commissioner, Magistrate, Deputy Secretaries, Additional Secretaries, DCOs, DG, Commissioners, Secretaries, or any other equivalent post of their grade. PMS Officers are an important unit in the top-level bureaucracy of the province and they perform their duties at Tehsil, District, Division, and Provincial levels at important posts.
Eligibility Criteria and Pre-conditions
Graduation in any discipline with minimum Second Division from a recognized university.
Gender & Domicile
All males, females, and transgender, domiciled in Punjab, can apply for PMS Exam in PPSC.
PLACE OF POSTING: Anywhere in Punjab
i. 21 to 30 + 02 years general age relaxation in upper age limit = 32 years (vide Notification No. SOR-I(S&GAD)/ 9-2/2022 dated 26-01-2022) on 1st January 2022. In the case of officials serving in connection with the affairs of the Federal Government who are domiciled in Punjab as well as the officials serving in connection with the affairs of the Punjab Government having at least 04 years of service the upper age limit shall be 35 years.
ii. For special persons, a maximum of 15 years of relaxation in the upper age limit shall be allowed as per Punjab Civil Servants Recruitment (Relaxation of Upper Age Limit) Rules, 1976. IMPORTANT NOTE: The relaxation as per Government of the Punjab, S&GAD Notification No. SOR-III(S&GAD)1-25/94(P) dated 29-11-2012, Punjab Delegation of Powers (Relaxation of Age) Rules, 1961, Punjab Delegation of Powers (Relaxation of Age) Rules, 1961 shall not apply to the posts of the Government required to be filled through Combined Competitive Examination conducted by the Punjab Public Service Commission.
- REMAINING PRE-CONDITIONS: The cutoff date for determining eligibility as far as age is concerned shall be the 1st of January of the year. However, the candidate must fulfill and complete all other pre-conditions/qualifications for the examination by the Closing Date as given in this Advertisement. The candidates will produce the original certificates at the time of the Psychological Assessment and Interview to authenticate their claim in the application form.
PMS Written Exam
1. The written exam consists of twelve (12) papers. Out of which six (6) are compulsory papers and the 6 are optional papers.
2. The written exam carries 1200 marks in total. Out of which, 600 marks are for compulsory papers and 600 marks are for optional papers.
3. Time allowed for each paper is 3 Hours.
4. The Candidate has to obtain 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in the aggregate i.e. 600 marks to qualify for the interview. Thereafter, a candidate also has to secure 50% marks in the interview to be held eligible for the final merit list of successful candidates
5. Optional papers are to be selected from the groups of subjects in the list according to the rules specified for them by PPSC.
COMPULSORY SUBJECTS (600 MARKS)
|2||English (Precis, Comprehension and Translation))||100|
|3||Urdu (Essay, Precis, Comprehension and Translation)||100|
|4||Islamic Studies /Ethics (For Non – Muslims Candidates)||100|
Psychological Test and Interview/Viva Voce: 200 Marks
- i) Negative Marking will be done and a 0.25 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer in the Objective (MCQ) paper on General Knowledge.
- ii) Non-Muslim candidates have the option either to attempt a paper on Islamic Studies or “Ethics” (A combination of both Subjective & Objective).
iii) All the candidates shall take all the compulsory subjects.
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS (600 MARKS)
ALL THE CANDIDATES SHALL TAKE THREE OF THE OPTIONAL SUBJECTS. (NOT MORE THAN ONE FROM ANY GROUP)
Principle of Engineering
- CANDIDATE SHALL HAVE TO OBTAIN 40% MARKS IN EACH PAPER AND 50% MARKS IN THE AGGREGATE i.e. 600 MARKS TO QUALIFY FOR INTERVIEW. THEREAFTER, THE CANDIDATE SHALL ALSO SECURE 50% MARKS IN THE INTERVIEW TO BE HELD ELIGIBLE FOR THE FINAL MERIT LIST OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES.
- NO CHANGE/ADDITION/DELETION/ALTERATION OF OPTIONAL SUBJECTS MENTIONED AT THE TIME OF SUBMISSION OF ONLINE APPLICATION FORM WILL BE MADE AND NO FURTHER REPRESENTATION WILL BE ENTERTAINED.
- INCOMPLETE/WRONGLY FILLED OPTIONAL SUBJECTS IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORMS WILL BE FINALLY REJECTED. NO FURTHER REPRESENTATION ON THIS ISSUE WILL BE ENTERTAINED.
- CHANGE IN THE PRIORITY/SELECTION OF EXAMINATION CENTRES SHALL NOT BE ALLOWED.
Job Description of PMS Officer
Newly appointee PMS Officer undergoes mandatory training at Management & Professional Development Department (MPDD), Lahore for a period of six months. After this MPDD training, a PMS Officer may be assigned following jobs / postings:
Posting as Assistant Commissioner (Under Training) / AC (UT) for a period of 03 months. This posting enables an officer to have know-how of the working of Assistant Commissioner in Tehsil.
Newly appointed PMS Officer is required to work first 02 years of his/her service in Civil Secretariat. This practice is done to make the officer go through the practical environment and learn the basic techniques of official working in government departments
After appointment, the PMS Officer gets salary of Basic Scale-17 along with allowances and financial benefits as admissible to Punjab Government employees. Mostly at the beginning of their job, PMS Officers are posted as Section Officers in any department of the Civil Secretariat.
PMS Important Information
Important Information about PMS Exam:
– The minimum standard of the question papers is of graduate level.
– The Candidate has to obtain 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in the aggregate i.e. 600 marks to qualify for the interview. Thereafter, a candidate also has to secure 50% marks in the interview to be held eligible for the final merit list of successful candidates.
– Besides Open Merit quotas, Special zone, Special person, and Minority quotas are considered.
– The examination is held in Lahore, Rawalpindi, Multan, Bahawalpur, DG Khan, Faisalabad, and Sargodha districts.